Wednesday, March 26, 2008

20 Years Ago Last Night

The Hanks' drummer Herbie sent this to me last night with the message:

"was in my studio editing some video and was watching this on youtube as I waited for a scene to render. halfway through, I realized this was taped exactly 20 years ago, today. wow.

I need a bong hit."




This was the Hanks' first show backing Robert Kirkland (formerly of Arrogance) on March 25. 1988 at The Brewery in Raleigh. We spent most of the rest of the year as his band in his shows across North Carolina. Generally from L to R is: Jim Piver (bass), me (guitar and backing vocals), Herbie Saint (drums), Robert Kirkland (lead vocals and guitar) and Ron Bartholomew (guitar and backing vocals).

I think youtube is fast becoming the new scrapbook for our times.

Here's another, a February 1990 clip from the farewell show by my old band The Ragdads. God, I'd love to have that 12 string Rickenbacker back again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

another 20 year mark. wow.

i still love love love "half moons"! did ya know that was one of a very short list of songs that i actually learned how to play?...not very well, but i could play it without making myself sick with shame. tHANKS for the flashback.

Jeff Hart said...

next time you're in durham, i'm gonna hold you to that, ie, have you play "half moons"!

Anonymous said...

no chance of that happening, sir. i haven't picked up a gtr in over 10 years...maybe even 15. but i'll let you play it for me!

Holden Richards said...

Cool clips, and yeah dig the 12!