Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Paddles Cut the Water

I've always loved that phrase from the opening two cuplets of Neil Young's "Pocahontas".



I spent a leisurely Friday afternoon with my pal Holden Richards at Falls Lake, which straddles Durham and Wake Counties. We launched from the Redwood Road boat ramp around 6:30pm. We both had a very challenging week and I suggested a paddle to get away from it all and let the tensions of the week get loose. I'd written a new song earlier in the day (first one at my myspace page) and it had a bit of a nature theme, so it was nice to pair that activity with some real outdoors. Holden later recorded the tune for me at his home in Hillsborough.



This was the first time I put the canoe on the new Jeep. There just wasn't enough water in any of the rivers or lakes last year to really get the canoe out but once early in the spring.



Hopefully, 2008 will be wetter and we'll get to enjoy the canoes a little more this time around. It's always been a valuable escape for me from the troubles of my work week or any other strains of life in this often weary world.

All photos were taken by Holden Richards (right).

1 comment:

Holden Richards said...

A good day and a nice paddle. Thanks for the photo credit bro.